When did you cave in and buy an Apple notebook?

lizkat

Nov 27, 2022
For me it was a Powerbook 170. Yeah... thrilled to own a truly portable machine... and with a 40 megabyte internal drive!

(My first Mac was a 512k unenhanced Mac bought in 1985. Not exactly portable in today's terms, but it sure beat a Compaq luggable.)

"Those were the days..." or dazzled times anyway. I did have one Toshiba notebook that I liked but that was the last non-Apple machine I ever purchased. I refused to consider other notebooks after acquiring that Powerbook 170, even when a few of Apple's later notebooks in the 90s failed to impress. I did feel lucky to have experienced a few of them free of charge, while working at a company that provided laptops to employees expected to work other than Mon-Fri and 9-to-5.

Often enough back then when I called tech support for a glitchy interface (it was a mixed Apple-Windows shop), we ended up sussing out how to fix the Mac side together.

"This was you guys' idea to go all Mac in that group, and now you want us to help you?" was the reaction for awhile.

But over time the techs realized that the Apple machines and their users caused them fewer headaches, and more of the in-house clients also became converts, so the IT support became far less surly. In the end they too began advocating to other departments to "Mac Up already..."

Reactions: Alli and Eric

Eric

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2022
Hey Liz, welcome and thanks for joining up!

For me it was actually about 10 years ago, I had been working with PCs my entire life but thought I would give the MBP a shot since my wife had one and I started playing around with it. I haven't looked back since, I had to work with PCs and Windows servers all the way up to retirement but can now say I'm glad to be free of them. I still have a laptop I use for some of my musical gear connections but otherwise I'm all Mac.

Reactions: lizkat and Alli